December 15, 2013

Review: Pawn by Aimee Carter

Title: Pawn
Author: Aimee Carter
Published: Harlequin Teen | Nov 26, 2013
Genre: YA Dystopian
Source: From Publisher for Review (Thank You!)
Series: The Blackcoat Rebellion
Pawn
Captive

Goodreads | Purchase
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.
Short version: Different yet predictable. Not impressed with the MC, but very interested in seeing what's going to happen in the sequel.

Actual review:

     Just from the premises, we knew that Pawn was going to have a major case of love triangle, but surprising, I couldn't find any traces of such triangle. Yes, there were a few kisses outside the relationship, but as far as I could see, it was only pretentious. Pawn started off with a very uncomfortable storyline; the MC, Kitty Doe, received the results of her tests which declared her as a III. She is given the job of taking care of the sewers in a different state, but instead decides to work as a prostitute with her friend, Tabs. See, uncomfortable!!! But it didn't continue to be that way. During her auction, Kitty is bought by the Prime Minister who plans on transforming her, plastic surgery and all, into his niece, Lila, who died in a skiing accident. Hence, Kitty becomes a VII and encloses herself in a deal with no exit. 

      Right from the first page, I wasn't a fan of Kitty. She lacked that strong personality needed in a main character, but even if I look past that, there were certain moments where her tone and sense of thought was more whiny and immature that I would've expected from a bright girl (her boyfriend's words, not mine!). She kept saying how much she loved her boyfriend, Benjy, but since their relationship has already been formed before the story, we never really got to see that connection and felt their love. But I do have to say that Kitty grew on me by the end, I started understanding her perspective more and sympathized with her over the unfortunate circumstances. Furthermore, I loved that throughout the story Kitty transitioned from a naive girl to a smart, sensible person who knows how to play a damn good game. It's not easy to have the most powerful man in the country as your enemy and I admire Kitty for still standing strong and facing his wrath head-on. That alone makes be super excited to read the next book. I only that it doesn't have a cliffhanger like this one!

     Pawn wasn't the best first book in a series and unfortunately, I'm still not convinced if Aimee Carter books are for me, but I enjoyed this book enough to continue the story and see where the author takes it next. The world in Pawn is my favorite, it might be harsh and cruel to the poor, but overall, it's different from what I've read in other books and that's what makes this book so original. Thanks God it's not real though :)

7 comments:

  1. Its great to see that the world in Pawn was so original. don't like it if a MC isn't strong enough because we have to bear with them for the entire series when there is no dual pov. Hopefully she'll just keep on improving. Thanks for your amazing review Aman! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that the love triangle didn't fully raise its ugly head, although the synopsis would have us think otherwise. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the MC either, but I hope she'll grow in the future.
    I have a copy on the way so we'll see.
    Great review, Aman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was extremely pleased when the love triangle didn't happen. I did like that Kitty grew during the book and finally managed to stand on her own.
    The world has to be one of the best dystopian worlds I've read about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked Kitty by the end Aman, I really enjoyed her. I was a huge fan of this book, but I agree with what you said about Benjy, it was difficult to be invested in their relationship given it was already established and then of course he's absent, so I couldn't help but root for and Knox instead:) I'm completely with you on the world too, so grateful it's not real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard a lot of people say the same thing, that this was an average read but a great setup to a series. I hope the MC undergoes a bit of character development, but I do love my dystopians. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, sometimes harsh isn't that bad. I mean.. Look what The Hunger Games did to us all, but it was brilliant because it was different. (Battle Royale or no Battle Royale.) Originality is always a good thing, but the rest of it has to deliver as well. So far, I've seen lots of 3 star reviews, but since it's part of a series, it may very well redeem itself with the following books. "but even if I look past that, there were certain moments where her tone and sense of thought was more whiny and immature that I would've expected from a bright girl (her boyfriend's words, not mine!)"--heh, laughed out loud when I read this. I'm glad that you were able to resonate with Kitty by the end of it. I don't know why, but the name Kitty always reminds me of Kitty Walker from Brothers and Sisters. I hope that you'll enjoy the sequel and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll enjoy Pawn a bit more than you did :) Lovely, honest review, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about this series and I've read one book from this author but honestly it doesn't really sound like something I would like. Great honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments. Thanks for stopping by!
Sorry folks, but this is now an Award Free Blog. I appreciate you considering Enticed By Books for an award though :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Statistics